Saturday, April 14, 2007

Feeling Hopeless

Sometimes the clutter, the chaos, the lack of control overwhelms me. At times like this, it seems that nothing will improve, that there is no point to even trying. It's really a form of depression (studies show that people who live in cluttered spaces tend to experience depression more frequently than those who live in less chaotic surroundings).

At times like this, I realize that there are choices. I can be stuck or move forward. I so want to move forward.

Today, I am tempted to rent a storage unit and just dump everything there. Peter Walsh, of It's All Too Much: An Easy Plan for Living a Richer Life with Less Stuff and CleanSweep fame, would throw his hands up and shout "Nooooo!". But he's not the one living in this chaos. He doesn't have to face it every single day.

Most things that go to storage units just stay there. I mentioned some stories told by the gentleman who helped my sister and I to arrange a storage unit for our mom's things. Well, frankly, I fear that if I did book one, that's what would happen. I might visit every once in a while, become overwhelmed, and then leave, after paying another month's rent.

No comments: