Monday, May 26, 2008

Step by step



I noticed I haven't posted for a few days. I've been slowly working on the kitchen. I bought a new silverware tray (the old was avocado green and thus is not allowed). I also culled my avocado green Pyrex bowls and baking dishes. These I may sell, on eBay or Craigslist, as there's a fairly strong demand for vintage Pyrex. I've kept the pieces in other colours--my bowls and baking dishes. I love them and I use them frequently. I've given them a whole shelf to their own in my main storage cupboard, rather than keeping them on the wheeled cart which holds the microwave.


I'm hoping to eliminate that cart. Current plan is to put the microwave on the kitchen counter where the breadbox used to be. I haven't tested it yet, so I'm not sure how happy we'll be with it. I'd love to not put that cart back! The kitchen feels so roomy now! The girls were dancing and twirling while I cooked dinner the other night...could never even consider that before.

So far, the new dishes are a success. They're so pretty and simple, clean lines. I found some smaller bowls, simple clear glass made in France, at IKEA. $.79 each, so a bargain too.

We're loving the Vestfrost! It's so nice to have a small fridge, stuff doesn't get lost. It means I can't stock up, which is GREAT. And, the small footprint means more free floor space.

1 comment:

Jay Bazuzi said...

I dig the new fridge.

A couple years ago we got rid of the microwave entirely. We read a little about some possible health issues with microwaved, and knew we wanted less stuff, so off it went. We were then able to get rid of corresponding accessories: the dishes that we kept just because they were "microwave safe". Maybe it'll work for you?

It took a little while to get used to. Mostly we missed it when heating up leftovers for just 1 or 2 people. However, now that we're 5, the amount of food we want to heat is so great that more traditional heating works better, anyway.

We did buy a couple items to smooth the transition: a toaster oven that we liked a lot, and a couple small stainless steel pots (from the thrift store).

I really don't miss the microwave at all.