Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Reader, I went to Bed, Bath & Beyond

And I didn't buy a single thing.

I've had a few items on my list that I thought BB&B might have. I want a very small plastic wastebasket for the bathroom to put recycling in (you know, magazine blow-in cards, empty TP rolls, etc). There's not much room and with tile floors, I didn't want anything breakable.

BB&B had sent us a flyer with a coupon ($5 off a $15 purchase) and it was on my way home from dropping the kids at school. Seemed worth a try.

That place is overwhelming. It's full of stuff, stuff that promises to make your house a haven, to organize every room and closet, to eliminate smells and create tranquility. But what really happens? I'll bet shoppers toss items in their carts, hoping for that transformation. And those items just end up creating more chaos.

Anyway, I left empty handed. No wastebaskets that met my requirments and the only other thing I was mildly interested in (some Nautica towels in the right colour for our bathroom) were excluded from the coupon.

I handed the coupon flyer to a shopper entering the store and that was that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent job!! Way to go!!

If you're not that particular about what kind of receptacle to put in your bathroom, try the Dollar Store at 145th and 15th, near me. They have a lot of different shapes and sizes of buckets and baskets of all sorts. And the price is right! kcn

Laurel Alanna McBrine said...

Good for you! You are truly at the graduate level for clutterholics.

For an even cheaper and environmentally friendly option, Goodwill might have just what you are looking for, although it could take a few visits, require some scrubbing and you will have to steel yourself to not pick up any extraneous junk at the same time.

Anonymous said...

I share your feeling about the excitement about "shopping." My DH and I toured the aisles of Cost Plus Tuesday. I was eager to buy "something." Food, wine, a candle, vase.... something special. But nothing jumped out at my ever critical brain. Besides, I had just visited my 90year-old aunt who still hasn't learned the lessons. So, we saved our pennies and left emptied handed, and felt better just for the experience of looking.

Momma P

chaotic kitten said...

This is really great progress, well done!!