Monday, July 16, 2007

The Parts of the Whole

When I glance at my house, I see clutter. I see piles, hot spots, bins and baskets full of stuff. In those moments, I want to just chuck it all out the door. But then, I make the mistake of looking closer, at seeing each individual item. Then, just like judging a group versus an individual, the parts become indispensible. They must be kept, they're valuable, precious, useful.

I can't go on like this. I am not the archivist for the world, I am a human being trying to live a normal life. I do not want to continue drowning in stuff. The chaos is so agitating, yet, I often block it out and know that I'm doing that, so I can go on. This is not the legacy I want to pass on to my children.

The question is, how can I accelerate my ability and willingness to let things go?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could give you good advice. Sometimes the crap is really crap, you know? Even if it looks precious to you. That's why you have friends to help you go through stuff. To say, 'Do you really need this pile of magazines you haven't read, picture of a saint, toy no one plays with, box of broken crayons that's been in the basement for two years?' Maybe they can help with the perspective.

Shannon said...

It's hard. Getting on supplements for my depression helped me (not saying you are depressed but just throwing that out there) but it's still not as easy as it should be. Looking at pictures of true hoarded houses online had helped me, as has joining the Children of Hoarders email list on Yahoo. But yeah, some days it's still hard. Hang in there!