Thursday, February 07, 2008

Lent

No, you haven't accidentally been switched to Confessions of a Catholic, but yesterday was Ash Wednesday, the first day of the Lenten Season. Lent is the 40 days preceding Easter (not counting Sundays). Lent is a time of reflection, and to participate in the custom of forming an intention for the season. Often, people choose to give something up for their intention, coffee, chocolate, alcohol, sugar. I prefer to think of the intention as either adding something to your life or not doing something with the goal of moving closer to God (as you conceive of God). Sometimes giving something up will do that, you'll perhaps move closer to the spirit of creation and life if you're not eating chocolate. Or, perhaps you'll add a daily walk or 10 minutes of meditation. Or maybe you'll choose to give to the local food bank every week, instead of once a year when the Postal Carrier leaves that handy bag.

Whether one is Christian or not, adopting a practice that brings one closer to...well, spirit of creation and life and energy for want of a better word can be a powerful time of personal growth.

Wondering what I chose to add or give up? Going to thrift stores and shopping at Target. I had pretty much already given up the thrift stores, I think the last time I went to one was over a month ago. But, still, the intention will solidify that aim. And Target? Well, it's just a pit of temptation. I go in for kitchen cleaner and come out will all sorts of wonderful things that, yes, will "enhance" our life, but that we don't actually "need". Since other stores that stock the items I usually buy at Target have higher prices, I'll be more able to stick to my list.

No comments: