Monday, November 12, 2007

Resisting Temptation

The sale season is upon us. Special deals (Black Friday!), special events, and the obligatory gift giving that gives us a reason to head into the stores.

Resist. I must resist. Because as I've learned on this journey, keeping the stuff out of the house is the only way for me to have hope of reducing the clutter. Once I claim something, once I see it, want it and acquire it, it becomes...precious...to me. Once it's precious, heck, you'd need a bull and a whip to pry it out of my hands. Once it's been claimed, it wants to stay.

I'm really not a big shopper. There's virtually nothing I need, and frankly, little that I want that can be had for money. But the things I do settle on, well, see above for the risks.

1 comment:

wealthy_1 said...

I so know what you mean. This is a very challenging time of year both for spending money on stuff and eating stuff. I think from Halloween to New Year's is so stressful because we try to cramp so many things into this short time period.

Anyway, thanks for your comment on my blog. I went to the big "T" last night. I went in with my list, bought the three items on my list and left in a big hurry :-).