Thursday, August 30, 2007

Garden Clutter


In other words, weeds. I've been working on our front yard, half of which is lawn with some beds at the edges, the other half of which contains a garden railroad. That side, despite a good mulching last year, has gotten all weedy again. Over the past two days, I've been weeding and then pouring mulch again. Ran out of mulch last night, so this morning, after weeding for a good hour and a half, went out and picked up six bags of mulch. Yes, it's cheaper by the yard, but my car isn't a pick-up, and there's a place just blocks away where I can get it for about $2.99 a bag on sale. Not so bad.

Pictures coming soon.

3 comments:

Jay Bazuzi said...

But your picture isn't of a weed, it's of a vegetable!

Dandelion is a very nutritious plant. It's an aquired taste, but when it's less bitter when fresh.

The entire plant is edible. The leaves are good salad greens; the flowers are slightly sweet due to the nectar.

(Make sure you can differentiate dandelion from its lookalike. Dandelion stems never fork; they each produce only one flower).

Clean ClutterFree Simple said...

Well, my definition of a weed is a plant that is in the wrong place.:-) My next door neighbor really hates the dandelions, and it keeps her happier when I keep them out of our front yard.
...I've always wanted to make dandelion jelly...

Anonymous said...

I wonder if a person who is extremely allergic to those pretty yellow flowers we call weeds who b equally allergic to eating anything made from them, including dandleion wine, as my grandmother is reported to have made, to jelly that is cooked..... I'll be a guinea pig! Love, MIL