Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Book Purging!


After talking about books with my LJ friend Frabjouslinz, I decided to do some purging. I pulled books I've read that I have no interest in reading again. I pulled books I've owned for years and yet not read. I grabbed back issues of Fantasy & Science Fiction magazine. Books for subjects I'm no longer interested in.

And what do you know? When I was done, and it was time for bed, I felt so great! As if a weight I didn't know I'd been carrying had fallen off my back.

Before going to sleep, I paged through the latest O magazine. Found a great little article by Julie Morgenstern, an except from her latest book, When Organizing Isn't Enough: SHED Your Stuff, Change Your Life. She writes about how, when she changed professions from theater to professional organizer, she kept boxes of her theater books, storing them under her dining room table. Her business had plateaued and she was frustrated. One evening, she decided to sort through one box of her theater stuff. She ended up tossing all but a couple of her old scripts. Soon after, her business blossomed. All that old stuff, from another life, had been holding her back.

Nice empty spots on the shelves (which had been double and triple stacked)

No comments: